Monday, September 04, 2006

Steve Irwin: RIP, mate


From the BBC

Australian environmentalist and television personality Steve Irwin has died during a diving accident.

Mr Irwin, 44, was killed by a stingray barb to the chest while he was filming an underwater documentary in Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.




I find this news depresses me more than I might have expected, and I have no appetite for the obvious snide one-liners.

Irwin was a wonderful character: the personification of everything I love about Australia – our tearaway younger brothers.

More than that: he had an air of indestructibility about him, which, like far too many things for my liking, turned out to be an illusion.

1 comment:

Oroborous said...

Ironically, considering all of the deadly animals he handled on a near-daily basis, death-by-stingray is apparently quite rare.